Saturday, May 12, 2007

Turning Lead Into Gold...

Lately I’ve devoted an inordinate amount of my time into the thousand year old practice of trying to turn lead into gold. It’s the same pursuit that got many a budding chemist started. Why I even heard that an atomic chemist actually pulled it off about 27 years ago using a process called "transmutation" at a cost of about 20 times what the small amount of gold produced was worth and with the accompanying problem that the precious metal was too radioactive to be handled. How did I get into this madness you might ask? A little over two years ago after listening to the advice of a financial advisor I decided to try to turn copper into gold. If you listen to financial experts long enough you will soon learn that gold itself even in its current favorable environment is a lousy long term investment. The price of an ounce has barely doubled in the past 25 years while most equity markets have quadrupled in value.
In early 2005 I invested in a company called Phelps Dodge which was considered the major American player in the copper business. What resulted for me was nearly two years of 11 % annual dividends and tremendous growth. The amount I invested in Phelps Dodge is worth 3.28 times what I spent just 26 months ago or what investors would like to call a 150 % annualized return.
What I heard recently was that LEAD is the new “copper” and is expected to be for the next several years.
Here’s a few of the reasons:
1. Because of the global warming issue countries are turning away from coal fired plants to produce energy and moving toward nuclear energy…lots of lead will be needed for protection.2. As the huge populous economies of India and China are expanding so are their middle classes. People who used to ride bicycles are purchasing motorbikes and automobiles which need BATTERIES as well as the hybrid vehicles which are now available.3. There are “spot” shortages in the industry. One of the largest mines producing lead in the world is shut down for the next 2 years while it is being “modernized”.
4. At the moment there is not enough lead to meet demand and the price is rising.I have posted the above picture as my desktop background while pondering how to do this investment. It is a picture of a mine in which lead is being extracted.
The thing about lead is that there aren’t lead mines per se. Most lead is a byproduct of mining for something else, mainly zinc, silver or gold but it exists side by side with other metals in most ore as well. The world’s largest producer is a company called BHP Billiton, Ltd which is located in Australia and has various metal mines around the world. BHP, Ltd is currently attempting to merge with one of its biggest competitors a London based Australian company called Rio Tinto and there is a report as I write this that the merger is going to be accomplished.
Not even aware of the merger talk I was considering purchasing some Rio Tinto this past Tuesday and my main hesitation was that it was selling for nearly $290 a share (maybe a little too big for my blood). While I was thinking about it the merger talk started and it jumped $ 36 a share..(nice stuff for a day trader but not my cup of tea).
Anyway, I plan to watch BHP for the next few days and if it drops in price like the dominant company in a merger usually does I may purchase some.

5 Comments:

At 9:57 PM , Blogger Humour and last laugh said...

There was a story I heard in my childhood that By touching "Paras" Stone the iron could be turned into gold. I too wished to have that stone. Then there was a poem I read in my taxt book that the poet holding the belief like mine discovered the worth of labor and when he grew up the fantasies; when he put a few seeds of peas and watered them regularly.
Stock market was not there obviously, when this story was told for the first time, or the poet made his discovery.

 
At 4:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting, though you might want to check some of your research. Rio Tinto is an Anglo-Australian firm. They have some operations in Canada but primary listings are in the UK and Australia, headquarters are in London.

 
At 9:05 AM , Blogger jipzeecab said...

Thanks for stopping by Anony, who checked in from South Africa.
Anony is correct and it points out the problem of writing something off the top of ones head without carefully verifying everything one says.
My impression that Rio Tinto was a Canadian company comes from a news report I read this past week from a Canadian newspaper concerning the proposed merger that also lamented the loss of Canadian headquartered mining corporations. As I read it on the Rio Tinto ADR page of Google finance I was left with the impression that Rio Tinto was a Canadian Concern which is clearly not the case...and I'm not even going to try to use the excuse that both of these Companies exist in many forms across the English speaking world while doing much of their actual operations on the west coast of South America.
Another problem which I failed to mention in the post is that these companies like those in other industries take advantage of tax laws in the countries in which they are incorporated. For instance while a company may obstensively be mining for "silver" the 45 % byproduct "lead" may be being written off as a "loss" on the accounting sheets when it is what is really being mined for.
By the way when I make an error of substance in a post I correct it in case any of you are wondering about the comments not matching up with the post.

 
At 9:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

For a literary variation on these themes, see "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho.
duchessadele

 
At 8:28 PM , Blogger d.K. said...

I have some better, and even more reliable investment advice, and it's fail proof. Just ask me in what and where I'm investing, and then do the exact opposite. I guarantee this will work every time. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Speakeasy Speed Test