Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A Note About Immigration...

I’ve made no secret about my support for immigration in general. I realize that one of the reasons America is the great country it is because of the blending of various immigrant groups throughout our history and the individual achievements by first and second generation immigrants.
As opposed to many of my countrymen I am not offended when I hear people talking in the language from where they came. I find Spanish to be a beautiful lyrical language with a fascinating cultural background. I love to listen to it and wish I could speak it fluently.Without immigration and lots of it there won’t be enough working people to keep the economy rolling in the next 5 - 20 years as all the baby boomers retire.
Advocates on both sides of the immigration issue hate the 900 + page compromise that has been fashioned in the US Senate and endorsed by the Administration.
All that said let’s reduce that immigration package to what it really is... an attempt to make this issue go away for another 20 years…and from my perspective that might be a good thing.

2 Comments:

At 9:18 AM , Blogger Humour and last laugh said...

So liberal.
I heard Bill Gates too supporting a liberal Americal Immigration policy.
This makes The USA so different than any other country.

 
At 3:34 PM , Blogger jipzeecab said...

First I don't consider myself a liberal but I am on some issues of which this is one.
Gates, Ellison(Oracle), and other high tech execs are supporting this bill because much of the creative high tech talent their companies need to continue to innovate is not available in this country. There is a well documented problem of bringing highly skilled technical persons to this country LEGALLY due to current quota ratios and the like.
The Senate Bill attempted to rectify some of these problems but even those attempts seem to have been cut back about 65 % in the uproar over the legislation this past week.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Speakeasy Speed Test