Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Tax Return Privacy...

I got a rude awakening this morning. Sometimes I miss stuff that I shouldn’t and maybe this story has been around every year and I’ve just missed it. As a “quasi libertarian” I generally come down on the side of privacy rights in almost every instance unless you are planning to blow my neighbors and myself up. We take for granted a certain amount of personal privacy when we deal with our Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants and Financial Advisors. Why? Because those confidentiality considerations are built into the “ethical” obligations of those who practice those professions.
I’ve always done my own taxes. Partly because I am “cheap”. I don’t think tax law is that complicated for a lay person who isn’t seeking a bunch of unusual shelters or ways to hide your money from the government. (The two audits I’ve gone through in 40 + years of doing my own returns aside…that’s another story). Just like I pick by own stock equities I rely on myself to prepare my 1040’s.
This morning I discovered that those of you who use "professional tax preparers" like H&R Block or Jackson Hewitt Tax Service (the two largest) have been giving up the privacy of your tax returns. Not to the government but to other businesses who have an interest in examining your return and are willing to pay them for the privilege.
How can they do this? In 1974 the IRS adopted rules which allowed the tax preparers to share your information with “affiliates” or to sell it to third parties. When you sign documents for the tax preparer permission to share the information is buried in the fine print.
The IRS is holding a hearing today about complaints about the abuse on the part of the tax preparers. Proposed are new rules that require explicit consent forms to be signed before the preparers share such information from now on. Resisting the new consent forms are the lobbyists for the preparers including the two famous ones listed above. What a bunch of jerks who clearly don’t have the best interests of their clients at heart.

7 Comments:

At 2:33 PM , Blogger Nicko McDave said...

For the last two years, I have filed my income tax online via H&R Block. Last year it was free, but this year there was a small fee. Well, not really small, but almost insignificant in relation to the poor man's refund my family and I got back.

I originally got on to H&R Block via the IRS web site and it worked so smoothly last year (fast refund and all) that we opted to follow suit this time around. H&R basically does all of the prep for free, but if you want to file electronically, you have to do so via a third party. so I had the option of paying some bank in order to get a quick refund and avoid dealing with printed forms.

It may well work differently if you go to H&R Block in person, but if you do it online, at least they "read you your rights", so to speak.

 
At 4:53 PM , Blogger jipzeecab said...

Some of the complaints are about usurus fees being charged by lenders for early refunds, but like you say you get to see what your rights are. My concern is with sharing the return itself, because once your return starts getting passed around a whole lot of information is available about you which shouldn't be. For instance if you look at someones interest and listed dividend income you can extrapolate the value of their investments knowing eighth grade math and a little equity research. This could be bonanza for a criminal preying on the elderly or for those who run fraudulent charities.

 
At 8:34 AM , Blogger jipzeecab said...

What I really haven't expressed very well in the whole post is the potential for identity theft.

 
At 11:50 PM , Blogger Hale McKay said...

Whoa Nelly! Am I ever glad I prepare and file my own taxes on both the State and Federal level.
...You are right about the identity theft possibilities.
...(Shudder!)

 
At 11:55 PM , Blogger Hale McKay said...

Me again ... I meant to include this.
...Not to mention that H&R Block has been employing under-trained and unknowledgable preparers. Also, some of their office managers were found to be unable to properly prepare some taxes. Even though they say they will accompany you if you are auf=dited on any taxes filed through them - they are not liable for mistakes - it falls squarely on you.

 
At 2:29 AM , Blogger starbender said...

...have been giving up the privacy of your tax returns...
Ain't THAT some S#%T?
If they can't sell U'r info anymore, I bet they raise their prices 2 do U'r Taxes!!!
:o

 
At 12:50 PM , Blogger Nick Zegarac said...

Ah, but you see, tax prep' services never claimed to have anyone's interests at heart but their own. The fact that they've found a loop hole to drive a Mack truck through with regards to the shared information act is a sad and unfortunate circumstance that hopefully will be remedied VERY soon. The less people that know your business, the better!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Speakeasy Speed Test