Thursday, March 23, 2006

Home Free...

I’m back from my jury duty obligations. I didn’t make it through the voir dire phase of the proceedings where the opposing attorneys and the judge or his representative exclude/select the jury panel and alternates. I was put into a group of 39 persons who were considered for a high profile local murder case. All of us were required to fill out a standard questionnaire which was supposed to examine our beliefs, attitudes and fitness to serve.
I truly expected to be excluded by the defense on the basis of my background as a relatively well educated former teacher, investigator and officer of the court.
I wasn’t surprised however, when the prosecutor wanted to know the nature of my physical disability and medications I was taking. After I answered him completely he informed me “We’re going to do this without you.” and excused me from service for this trial. A couple of hours later when I was being excused completely from jury duty it was obvious nearly everyone in that group had been excluded. Sometimes it takes several days to empanel a jury and this trial isn’t expected to begin until next Tuesday.
One of the clerks stated that due to a new policy that was being implemented it was unlikely that any of us would ever be asked to serve in Allegheny County Courts again.

2 Comments:

At 2:53 PM , Blogger Nicko McDave said...

Hmmm...that means that I must be moving up on the list. I have never served, but I was once on the call list for alternates. They never called, so I was off the hook. I also registered online a couple of years ago, so it's not like they can't get a hold of me if they need me.

Last year, a lady at my bus stop told me that her son had just graduated college and was hired to start a new job in Tennesee the following week. Of course, he received a summons to report for jury duty in Allegheny County the same week that he was scheduled to report to his new job. He hadn't enough time at that point to change residency. Somehow he got out of it.

 
At 2:12 PM , Blogger Hale McKay said...

I was empaneled once the last time I was summoned to jury duty. They sent us to lunch and while we were out the two parties settled. We returned from lunch only to be sent home. It was a strange feeling having the defense and the D.A. discussing your virtues and whether they chose you to sit in on the trial.
...Happy belated birthday. I am approaching that age myself. I turned 58 in February.
...I too have wondered where the "marble" came from (re: the origin of the Universe) Given the marble was there: who pushed the detonation button?
...Thanks ffor your visit and comments. Hmmm ... I once had you on a list to add to my Blogroll, but I never got around to it. I will fix that today.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Speakeasy Speed Test