Wednesday, August 24, 2005

"First..Do No Harm"..

I like to think I’m one of the last people on Earth to be offended. And I usually can’t figure out why some of the rest of us get upset about this or that.
I believe political correctness is out of control…all you have to do is found your own interest group, organize your minority and you can declare something offensive.
So why am I upset about a particular ad that portrays Doctors in a negative light in an attempt to be funny?
I love mean lawyer jokes even though my daughter is an attorney and my son, a second year law student.
I don’t have any special love for Doctors. In fact I’m not sure I particularly like one I’m seeing at the moment but he does do his job professionally and in my best interest.
The ad which has my “political correctness hackles” up promotes Coors Light, probably my favorite beer after Corona. It is called “Shock” and was produced by Foote, Cone and Belding’s Chicago Division. It’s been on TV a lot this past week.
A woman brings her catatonic boyfriend/husband to an emergency room/clinic. He has a bottle of Coors Light in a frozen grip. The woman tells the male physician that the patient went into shock when he discovered this particular bottle wins a superbowl game tickets promotion. The physician proceeds to try to wrestle the bottle away from the patient. After some Coors Light ad copy the physician is depicted saying “It’s OK…I’m a Doctor,” while repeatedly slamming a door shut on the patient’s arm.
Ok..If it wasn’t a Doctor doing it I would probably find it funny…even if it was your favorite neighborhood barrister.
I guess I just don’t feel we should treat those who practice the healing arts this way..
Am I losing it?..

3 Comments:

At 10:07 PM , Blogger phinky said...

I agree with you, there are commercials that are just in poor taste.
I really hate that Aamco commercial where the old people are blown away with a water cannon. Sorry, I don't find the humor in it.

 
At 12:56 PM , Blogger d.K. said...

I haven't seen it either. There's one commercial now that pokes fun at Norwegians, of all people. Since I'm decended from Vikings, and we get so little attention anymore, I'll take anything! :)

 
At 2:12 PM , Blogger jipzeecab said...

Update:

I haven't seen "Shock" ad since I put up this post. Maybe the AMA did a little posting of their own.
The ad Bridget mentions has been running in the same slot around here.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Speakeasy Speed Test