Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Yinzers Take Over the World!

(The following post is from an attempt at blogging I did earlier in the year. It was imported from a blog I called "Clean Living Through Chicanery")
This morning I took the lightrail into the City of Pittsburgh in order to become a member of the studio audience at the Mike and Mike Show, a national morning radio show out of Bristol, Connecticut which is simulcast on ESPN NEWS TV Cable Channel. Mike Golic and Mike Greenberg were in Pittsburgh to highlight the second round NFL playoff game between my Pittsburgh Steelers (pronounced locally "Stillers") and the New York Jets taking place tomorrow (Saturday Jan 15 at 4:30 PM EST).
I arrived at the Marriott Centre City Hotel at 6:10 AM approximately 3 minutes after the show had begun. Already packed into an off lobby bar designed to hold about 40 guests were approximately 180 screaming fans similar to myself packed in shoulder to shoulder. Because of a cardiovascular problem I have I can't stand on my feet too long so I went looking for somewhere to sit down. I found it in the lobby where four others had already commandeered easy chairs and arranged them in front of the lobby's 32 inch plasma TV which was showing Mike and Mike via close-circuit. I grabbed an empty chair and set it up near the TV. Two others joined us during the next twenty minutes.
Mike and Mike were their usual entertaining selves... in addition to commentating on the current sports scene they also interviewed live Dave Wannstadt, the new Pitt head football coach, Bill Cowher, the Steeler coach and Jack Ham, a hall of fame linebacker, from the 70's Steelers.
The memory I will take away from this otherwise fun event is the observation of five of the six people sitting around me in the lobby.
At 7:00 AM the bar opened. Beer sales were announced and five of my seatmates ordered their first beers. Between seven and eight three of them had consumed a second beer and had obtained a "bloody mary' which they opined was excellent. The other two had a third beer. All of them continued to buy beer (some for each other). Noone from the hotel was collecting the empties and by 10:00 AM when the broadcast ended there were 33 "dead soldiers" arrayed in front of the group. The sixth person was drinking coffee and I had a 10 oz bottle of orange juice.
Now I know some people have a problem with booze and this was a rather festive atmosphere, but 7 drinks each within three hours!(?)! And Noon is still 2 hours away and the game is 30 hours away...
Local sportcasters speak derisively about "yinzers".. supposedly drunk Steeler fans whose minds and bodies are still stuck in the 70's. I wonder how good beer sales were in the bar itself. Not to be critical...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Speakeasy Speed Test